Saturday, October 16, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes

I was experimenting today with fried green tomatoes. I started a garden plot this summer but didn't get the plot until late June and by the time we got the over growth of unwanted plants cleaned up, it was early July when we finally got our plants & seeds in the ground. My garden is still producing, but as would be guessed, a bit late in the season for much of it. Which reminds me, I need to go check on it again.

September was absolutely nuts for me due to the preparations for the vernissage/cocktail, art exhibition, plus I also started a certification course to become a make-up artist at Edith Serei Academy; all this to say that I never had time to properly attend my garden. But thank-fully I was able to round up help from friends last sunday and boy did we make up for lost time!

Unfortunately my tomatoes plant is only just now producing tomatoes, which are all green, although of a descent size, some were already falling. So I decided to collect them, remembering about an old recipe I had tried 15 years ago that came from the southern united states. If you are interested, here is the recipe, which is altered to my tastes and sense of good health:

Green Fried Tomatoes (or baked)

2 eggs
Approximately 2/3rds a cup of buckwheat flour
Pinch of salt
Raw finely grated garlic
Finely chopped fresh rosemary
Thickly sliced green tomatoes
Avocado Oil or Cold Pressed Coconut Oil

Beat your mix with a fork, slowly adding flour until the consistency is like thick pancake mix. Coat tomatoes with batter, you may need to drip a little on each tomato when you put it in the pan as it sometimes slides off the tomato. Prepare frying pan with oil, heat on medium high, you may need to lower it to medium when you have finished the first batch as the pan will otherwise get too hot after that point. Carefully flip with the egg lift, should be golden brown when finished.

If you decide to bake some, do the same thing as above but put the oven on 400c and check on it in 10 minutes; take out when it's golden brown. The baking method makes it alot dryer but a bit healthier, but be sure to douse it in a small amount of tamari or soya sauce otherwise it's too dry. The tamari flavour works best with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment