Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Spring!!



VJ, Photographer & Film Maker; Marie Dietlin
Make-up by April-Anna.

Yeah! It's Spring! I love spring! Ok, so I don't trust that ol'jack frost is really gone for good, I know that spring is on it's way! The giant icy & snow brick on my back porch is finally melting to a quarter of it's size it maintain and often grew over bigger over the winter. My cat spent a half an hour outside in the sun (instead of trying to come in and out like a yo-yo every five minutes to warm his feet) and didn't ask in when he saw me! I love spring! I can't wait to start gardening!

Lac Saint Pierre

Springtime Drawing by April-Anna; Pen & Ink
    If you are in the area this weekend; please come see the body painting competition this saturday being organized by Envol du Grand Heron Beu Productions, a non-profit organization who's goal is to protect and create awareness about the Lac Saint-Pierre nature reserve. Recognized by UNESCO, this is the largest wetland reservation in the world.

The theme is local wildlife, "fauna and flora". To participate, artists must have prepared detailed sketches and a description to submit to judges at the start of the body painting competition.

For more information, please see: PEGHB



Tsunami & Earthquakes

Indonesia, Haiti, New Zealand and now Japan. I knew people who knew people in Haiti, but this time I actually have 2 friends who are in Japan; one is Canadian, and one is a Japanese girl I met here in Montreal in 2006. I guess because I have friends there, it has become more personal when I see the video footage and read what is happening there. So when the earthquake and tsunami hit, she was the first person I thought of. Finally on sunday she emailed me; I was relieved and in awe to hear that she was in Sendei when the earthquake & tsunami hit, she survived!

But it's heart breaking to see the footage of how the majority of survivors are dealing with the situation as they process what has happened. I think everyone who survived has lost someone, in many cases many people. I can't imagine either being in person there faced with the daunting task of rebuilding. I can't help but wonder if it is not perhaps smarter to just rebuild closer to the mountains? I realize many people love living on the ocean but who knows how long it could be before there would be another earthquake, it is so close to such a major faultline, it is only a matter of time on account of that the plate tectonics are always moving, the contenants are reshaping themselves. Anyways that's just my two cents.

Either way, my heart goes out to them and I wish I could do something to help. The only thing I am able to offer is if someone in Montreal is throwing a fundraising event (hint hint wink wink) they should contact me, I would be happy to contribute my services.

No comments:

Post a Comment