Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"No job is too small to do beautifully"

(quoted from Brian Froud's "The Faeries Oracle")

" He sings as he works.... He would be the first to tell you that superb craftsmanship, however magical, is hard work - joyful and energizing hard work, but always challenging... work is done as well as possible, even where it will never be seen by anyone else....persevere through difficulties, learning still more of our craft as we work...."

"labor of love.... be willing to tackle difficult challenges... surpass previous achievements... patience... willingness... again and again until it i seven better then the best one can do... Yes, in balance to all of this, the "Master Maker" reminds us that we also need to learn our own limits... balance..." - Quoted from "The Faeries Oracle"



Right now I am trying to redevelop my rusty drawing skills, get them un-rusted then shine and polish until my skills are growing, honing, finer and finer, more and more precise... Alas it is a bit of a task that requires quite alot of patience. I am grateful that I have grown patient with age. I used to practice pencil drawing in realism regularly from the time I was 10 until I was about 17; I got very good for a while but I found I would get increasingly stressed out and frustrated with the challenge of trying to get it perfect. So I took a break from pencil drawing and have been exercising other aspects of my artistic skills (as you can see from my portfolio).

Now I am trying to come back full circle and bring all my skills together, expressed in what is for me, new experimentation in multi-media. I am having alot of fun.

Last night and today I have been practicing drawing my cat as well as my friend's kittens. I am alone in my studio at the moment and didn't have anyone to get feedback from to help point out to me what I struggle to see.... I can see it's a bit warped but I have a hard time breaking it down in my mind how to correct my drawings sometimes. So I put the image into the computer and layered the drawing with the reference photo; and wow that sure helps me to see how to correct things. I then print that out and by eye, I try drawing and erasing in the corrections.

Here is where I am currently at (I am not showing all the stages right now).

No comments:

Post a Comment